Alligator gars are so named because their snouts are like those of an alligator, as well as their hard scales. Alligator gars are of the bowfin family, with ray fins used for navigating the water. They are one of the oldest species of fish, dating back to the Cretaceous period, over a hundred million years ago. They have outlived the dinosaurs! What is unique about them is that they can breathe in both air and water. Their scales are so strong that they serve as protection against predators. Look at the 10 of the biggest alligator gars ever caught, 6 of them in Texas!
You might also like
- Do You Want One of 15 of the Biggest Dog Breeds as a Pet?
- These 7 Biggest Volcanoes Will Leave You in Awe!
- 15 Biggest Sharks Ever Recorded, #12 is a Monster!
- 9 Stunning Facts about the World’s Biggest Catfish Caught
- 7 Facts On the Lion’s Mane: The Biggest Jellyfish
- Would You Dare Pet These 15 World’s Biggest Dogs?