Alligator gars are so named because their snouts are like those of an alligator, as well as their hard scales. Alligator gars are of the bowfin family, with ray fins used for navigating the water. They are one of the oldest species of fish, dating back to the Cretaceous period, over a hundred million years ago. They have outlived the dinosaurs! What is unique about them is that they can breathe in both air and water. Their scales are so strong that they serve as protection against predators. Look at the 10 of the biggest alligator gars ever caught, 6 of them in Texas!
You might also like
- 10 Amazing Facts about the World’s Longest Snake
- The 14 Biggest Waves Ever Surfed #14 is Terrifying!
- 13 Biggest Volcano Eruptions Since the Dawn of Man
- Top 5 Biggest Healthcare Brands in the World
- 7 Things You Need to Know About “Hulk” The Biggest Pitbull
- Do You Want One of 15 of the Biggest Dog Breeds as a Pet?